This rich, smoky soup gets warm spiciness from roasted Pasilla peppers and dark depth of flavor from chocolate. Make this a meal with a salad, bread and Semi Sweet Riesling from Laurentide!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced from roasted garlic head
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 4 c chicken or vegetable stock (vegetarian option)
- 1 c Herdez Roasted Pasilla Chile Mexican Cooking Sauce (available at specialty shops or online)
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 c heavy cream or evaporated milk (optional for dairy free)
- 1/2 c crema or sour cream (optional topping if dairy free)
- Heat oil in large, heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent but not brown. Add the garlic and cook ~ 2 more minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in pumpkin puree, stock and cooking sauce. Stir to combine, bring to boil and then simmer over low 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop chocolate and add slowly, stirring constantly and thoroughly until melted. Stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Pour cream into a bowl and temper with about 1/4 c of the hot soup. Stir, add more hot soup, stir and then stir all back into pot of hot soup. Cook on very low heat until hot ~10 miniutes. Adjust seasonings if desired.
- Puree soup in blender if desired.
- Serve with crema or sour cream if desired.